Welcome to our blog!
Amy and Jennifer ARE Seduced by Books. We’re both in our 30’s, moms, close friends, work together, and share many of the same interests including our love of reading. Amy grew up in Maryland and has been obsessed with Vampires for as long as she can remember. Jenn grew up in Florida and loves the furry, the fey, and the fangs, in that order. Currently we are both in Orlando, FL. When we can be pulled away from books, Amy loves to bake and Jenn loves to take pictures and scrap.
We decided to create a place where we could direct friends, and acquaintances for, book suggestions/recommendations (Jenn’s been known to talk to strangers on the train while traveling in NYC). Once we started out with a simple page, we evolved from there. Now we are sharing our book reviews, fun comments, recipes, and giveaways. We try to give reviews on new releases, pre-releases, and oldies but goodies that we read, or are reading. We’re going to be adding author interviews for established and up and coming authors soon.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews

Ok I’m tag teaming reviews again….I was worried that I wouldn’t give them the credit they deserve individually, but hey I gotta catch up on my reviews J they are like a tiger hounding over me when I sleep – or in this case – a LION !!

I first heard of Ilona Andrews from her 2nd series – The Edge – I won book 2 in a contest – I started book 1 and was a little confused and had a lot on my table so I put it down.

When 2 friends RAVED about the Kate Daniels series I had to pick it up – it wouldn’t be the first author that I liked one series and was so-so about the other. 

DAMN! I’m glad I picked it up…note there are a few small spoilers in my review so if you just read this blurb and skip to the rating – then get your but out to the store to buy these that works too. 

Series synopsis from Ilona Andrews site - -
The world has suffered a magic apocalypse. We pushed the technological progress too far, and now magic returned with a vengeance. It comes in waves, without warning, and vanishes as suddenly as it appears. When magic is up, planes drop out of the sky, cars stall, electricity dies. When magic is down, guns work and spells fail.

It’s a volatile, screwed-up world. Magic feeds on technology, gnawing down on skyscrappers until most of them topple and fall, leaving only skeletal husks behind. Monsters prowl the ruined streets, werebears and werehyenas stalk their prey; and the Masters of the Dead, necromancers driven by their thirst of knowledge and wealth, pilot blood-crazed vampires with their minds.

In this world lives Kate Daniels. Kate likes her sword a little too much and has a hard time controlling her mouth. The magic in her blood makes her a target, and she spent most of her life hiding in plain sight.  But sometimes even trained killers make friends and fall in love, and when the universe tries to kick them in the face, they kick back. (http://www.ilona-andrews.com/kate-daniels/)

And now for my review -

We start out learning about Kate Daniels in Magic Bites – she’s a mercenary and damn good.  Well she has to be to protect herself.  There’s some serious action and you are sucked in, belted up and ready for the ride.  While you are learning about the characters and this world Andrews has set up, a magic apocalypse on Atlanta; you can’t help but connect.  Curran – OMG – intrigued the moment we meet, and how he’s forced to work together to solve the crimes.  Kate’s been thrown to the wolves and she’s got to team up with some she never thought she would.  I thoroughly enjoyed the book and thankfully the rest were right there waiting because I jumped into Book 2.

Magic Burns picks up closely on the heels of Bites – I have found that one of my favorite things in a series is when the main characters in the first stay the main characters the whole way through – you meet new people but you’re evolving in the main characters lives.  So I was stuck right in this series as we continue on with Kate.  But don’t think for a moment that her and Curran are a couple because I mentioned him in the first.  Kate’s just trying to live and keep her deepest secrets safe and keep everyone at bay.  Wonder how long that will last.  Once again, Andrews pulls out the action, and I love the humor and side stories.  You can imagine now – I am jumping up to get book 3.  

Kate never thought she’d have ties to anyone, she had to keep herself a stone against friends.  We are finally learning more and more about Kate and of course Curran isn’t far behind by now.   How Magic Strikes starts, Kate’s ready to help a friend, and she’ll stop at no cost.  Oh my, the funny humor here, poor Curran.  As Kate learns about the shapeshifter mating habits she finds there’s a few interesting things she should have known ahead of time.  J I loved this book. I loved the anticipation and the heart.  Not to mention the twists and the action.  Andrews has a lovely mix of it all. 

“Magic Mourns” in Must Love Hellhounds is a short story novella – I think you need this book to keep the flow of the series – you get so vested you won’t want to miss a beat – although the lead not Kate – it’s one of her close friends Andrea – definitely grab it.

Curran Vol 1 – Andrews husband wrote a short story that encompasses Curran’s point of view in all the meetings with Kate – LOVED IT – At this point you finally get to see what’s behind Curran’s mind when he does some crazy things.  I fell in love with Curran all over again.  It’s a quick read so don’t skip it.

Magic Bleeds starts out not at all where you’d expect it.  Kate and Curran have some things to hash – but Kate’s past and her secret are ready to be out on the table.  Andrews isn’t leaving anything out.  We’ve got some new twists on Kate’s past, action around every corner.  Kate’s a bad ass and with out her blood she wouldn’t have made it this far.  She’s got to handle her new position and everything that comes with it.  I can’t say enough good about these books

“Magic Dreams” in Hexed – another short – spins off 1 of our favorite characters, Jim and of course, Dali. 

Curran Vol 2 Fathers and Sons – once again Andrews’ hubby brings us Curran’s point of view – and again – I love seeing it through his eyes, and learning his motives for some of what he’s done.  I love the extra stories that come with learning his side. 


Magic Slays – the best yet – Curran and Kate – I love them – I love how much he needs her, I love their constant negotiation – it reminds me of some of my other favs and why I love them all so much.  They have yet again, great action they must get through. 

A Questionable Client in Magic Graves is a new short story where we see how Saiman and Kate first met. 



6 slices for sure because I couldn’t stop – I just threw one down to rush and grab the next.

I’ll give the Edge series another try – but Kate Daniels is on my list forever J

No comments:

Post a Comment