Welcome to our blog!
Amy and Jennifer ARE Seduced by Books. We’re both in our 30’s, moms, close friends, work together, and share many of the same interests including our love of reading. Amy grew up in Maryland and has been obsessed with Vampires for as long as she can remember. Jenn grew up in Florida and loves the furry, the fey, and the fangs, in that order. Currently we are both in Orlando, FL. When we can be pulled away from books, Amy loves to bake and Jenn loves to take pictures and scrap.
We decided to create a place where we could direct friends, and acquaintances for, book suggestions/recommendations (Jenn’s been known to talk to strangers on the train while traveling in NYC). Once we started out with a simple page, we evolved from there. Now we are sharing our book reviews, fun comments, recipes, and giveaways. We try to give reviews on new releases, pre-releases, and oldies but goodies that we read, or are reading. We’re going to be adding author interviews for established and up and coming authors soon.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sunrise at Sunset by Jaz Primo

Sunrise at SunsetWe vampires are focused and tend to shape our own realities. My name is Katrina Rawlings, and I am a vampire. I declare that with neither pride nor ego. I am simply nature's most dangerous predator. On occasion, it's a very valuable quality. It helped me protect Caleb Taylor one day when he was very young. But that single, traumatic day is behind him now; wiped from his memory, or so I hope. Caleb has finally matured into a rather striking young man, and believe me, I like what I see. I'll readily admit that there are issues for us to confront and overcome, though a sense of mutual commitment isn't one of them. I'm feeling hopeful for our future together, in fact. But an adversary from my past has returned to haunt me, and she's trying to get back at me through Caleb. That was her first...and last...mistake. I'll protect my Caleb at all costs, and I'll make her regret the day she was born. So, I suppose that I'm not just a vampire. I'm about to become someone's worst nightmare! (description courtesy of Amazon)

This is a first for the new author Jaz Primo.  (we will be interviewing him in a few weeks, Nov 14th)
Vampire meets human - - Human remeets Vampire

After years of overseeing Caleb has the opportunity to grow up and be successful, Katrina wants to come face to face with him one last time.  The connection is immediate. 
While I think Katrina’s character is supposed to be the kick ass vampire/potential lover, I felt she was more of an overbearing, possessive mother figure. 

The book started out strong with a great concept.  It fell short and came to a point where I just wanted to hate Katrina’s character.  The stream of conscious conversation was a little too much.  I did like Caleb, which just added to my frustration. 
I stuck it out, and the book picked up from just about the midway point which is when the plot started to change.  A blast from the past comes back to seek revenge, and Caleb is the perfect way at Katrina.  Protecting her mate with any means necessary (including captivity) she enlists the help of 2 vampire friends.  Thankfully they are around to add much needed dialogue.  One of the friends really made this book for me.  The banter between friends was refreshing until the couples counseling to steer Katrina and Caleb on a better path.  However, that too was also needed to change Kat and Caleb’s perceptions of each other.  While most Vampires are recluse and secretive, usually once their mate has been found they are open and honest.  Katrina went the opposite, angry and aggressive when asked for information on herself. 

The battle to get rid of the threat to Caleb is done well, in addition to the twist that keeps the story flowing.  I classify this as an older young adult read.  I wanted a little more passion.  I can’t say I fell in love with Katrina, but I think Jaz wanted to bring out the hard life vampires lead, and the constant battle with bloodlust.  Thanks to Jaz though, for showing sometimes the woman is the lead in a relationship. 

Overall  I gave it 3 slices – I’m anxiously awaiting our interview with Jaz so we can pull out some of where the series is going.  I see the next book being about one of the “friends that came to help.”  Looking forward to see the direction it’s going.  I do love Jaz - can't wait for the interview!


No comments:

Post a Comment