Welcome to our blog!
Amy and Jennifer ARE Seduced by Books. We’re both in our 30’s, moms, close friends, work together, and share many of the same interests including our love of reading. Amy grew up in Maryland and has been obsessed with Vampires for as long as she can remember. Jenn grew up in Florida and loves the furry, the fey, and the fangs, in that order. Currently we are both in Orlando, FL. When we can be pulled away from books, Amy loves to bake and Jenn loves to take pictures and scrap.
We decided to create a place where we could direct friends, and acquaintances for, book suggestions/recommendations (Jenn’s been known to talk to strangers on the train while traveling in NYC). Once we started out with a simple page, we evolved from there. Now we are sharing our book reviews, fun comments, recipes, and giveaways. We try to give reviews on new releases, pre-releases, and oldies but goodies that we read, or are reading. We’re going to be adding author interviews for established and up and coming authors soon.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

First Grave on the RightCharley sees dead people. That’s right, she sees dead people. And it’s her job to convince them to “go into the light.” But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (i.e. murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she’s been having about an Entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely. (courtesy of Amazon)

Let me first start out with this COVER – I want those shoes!! I was waiting in line when I saw this book, I was drawn to it, but I had a ton on my TBR pile – so I didn’t grab it.  I came home and one of our fellow bloggers (Demonlover) was reading it that very night and enjoying it.  That was it, I had to get it, it was meant to be!

I was NOT disappointed – Humorous, Hot and Hooked – This book has the best of all worlds.  From the first pages I was gripped by Charley – premise of her being the grim reaper – the steam coming from her sexy dreams – the fearless attitude – the snarky comments – how can you go wrong?  I could totally relate LOL – Once you throw in a mystery to solve, this is heaven for me and I can’t wait for a sequel…(Second Grave on the Left/Aug 2011) (Cover art already for Third Grave Dead Ahead/Feb 2012)

Darynda Jones is a debut author – many of my favorites (Ward) had snippets of reviews on her book cover – Jones deserves all the praise she receives.  The chapters all begin with a quote either from our lead character or randomly found by Jones.  I compare her to the famous Janet Evanovich (Stephanie Plum series 17+books) where the humor and mystery collide.  Jones gives it her own niche along with adding the gripping paranormal that I crave.  I am crossing my fingers that Jones can go as far with this series because I want more and more of it!

Charley not only has to solve the crime and release the souls, but she needs to search her own soul and find her mystery dream visitor – could it be who she thinks…no one has yet been able to explain what she has dealt with since she can remember.  Let me tell you, those dreams she has, I said Hot before and I meant it – of course when they start coming on while she’s awake and in a room full of people………

Again, Jones must have writing in her blood, because from out the gate she’s amazing.  Grab this book and get to reading!  This is the moment where we’ve realized greatness and we just need more of it!
(Note: love shortening Charlotte to Charley – in fact – it’s what I did with my niece)


I don't do it often - but I think this one deserves the extra - 6 slices and that last one is a BIG one :)














No comments:

Post a Comment