Welcome to our blog!
Amy and Jennifer ARE Seduced by Books. We’re both in our 30’s, moms, close friends, work together, and share many of the same interests including our love of reading. Amy grew up in Maryland and has been obsessed with Vampires for as long as she can remember. Jenn grew up in Florida and loves the furry, the fey, and the fangs, in that order. Currently we are both in Orlando, FL. When we can be pulled away from books, Amy loves to bake and Jenn loves to take pictures and scrap.
We decided to create a place where we could direct friends, and acquaintances for, book suggestions/recommendations (Jenn’s been known to talk to strangers on the train while traveling in NYC). Once we started out with a simple page, we evolved from there. Now we are sharing our book reviews, fun comments, recipes, and giveaways. We try to give reviews on new releases, pre-releases, and oldies but goodies that we read, or are reading. We’re going to be adding author interviews for established and up and coming authors soon.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

GUEST VISIT - The H&W Team Discuss White Hats by Jess Haines

Hello there!  Jess Haines here.  I’m the author of the urban fantasy H&W Investigations series (HUNTED BY THE OTHERS, TAKEN BY THE OTHERS, and the recently released DECEIVED BY THE OTHERS.  I’d like to take a moment to introduce you to some of the cast—Shiarra Waynest, the lead character, Chaz, her on-and-off werewolf boyfriend, Alec Royce, a vampire Shiarra meets in the course of her adventures, Sara, Shiarra’s business partner, and Arnold, a mage and Sara’s boyfriend.

Today the cast of the H&W Investigations series are going to talk about those who hunt the Others.  Over to you, Shia!
____________________

Shiarra:  White Hats are boring.  Why don’t we talk about something like contracts or what makes Others scary or whatever?

Chaz: I think it’s been done.

Royce:  To death.

Sara:  Heh.  To death?  Isn’t that a little cliché coming from a vampire?

Arnold:  Clichés never stopped us before.  Anyway.  I don’t think the White Hats are so bad.  Once you get to know them, most of ‘em are pretty cool.

Shiarra:  Except the ones who think it’s all fun and games to burn down businesses, start riots in the streets, attack innocent people in their own bedrooms in the dead of night…

Royce:  I did tell you to inform me if the White Hats had harmed you.  I’d be happy to make arrangements on your behalf for something to be done to counter any activities you find unpleasant.

Sara:  Is that code for “Hey, look, I’m putting on my mob boss pants and will make these guys disappear” or something?

Royce:  There is an art to subtlety, Ms. Halloway. My statements fail to carry the proper note of menace if you insist on dissecting them like that.

Chaz:  You’re a vampire.  Of course you’re menacing.  You don’t even have to open your mouth to drive people away. Though it certainly helps.

Arnold:  Actually, I heard there was some men’s fashion mag that had record sales last month after it featured a picture of him on the cover. 

Shiarra:  Much as I agree with Chaz, that one doesn’t count.  I saw it on the stands at the supermarket.  Royce was smiling and showing fangs.  It was a pretty good pic, actually.

Chaz:  Whatever.

Sara:  Um.  Is the werewolf actually pouting? 

Shiarra:  Oh, Chaz, don’t pout.  You know I find you sexier than a gross, old vampire.

Chaz:  I am not pouting!

Arnold:  Cool it, man.  It’s not that big a deal.  None of us care, anyway.

Royce:  Ms. Waynest, you are one of the few humans I have encountered who find me more frightening than attractive.  I’ve yet to determine why that is.

Shiarra:  The White Hats are right about one thing.  Because you’re a scary son of a—

Sara:  Ahem!

Shiarra:  …yeah.  Anyway.  You’re an evil, soulless, walking corpse.  No wonder the White Hats hate you.  You’re rich, successful, charming, and women flock to you like you’re the greatest thing since Ryan Reynolds’ abs.  

Arnold:  I thought they hated him because of the walking corpse part?

Chaz:  They hate that he can flaunt all the hot babes and probably that he makes more money than they do.  Drinking blood doesn’t help.

Royce:  I’m hardly a corpse.  You’ve felt my touch—

Chaz:  WHAT.

Shiarra:  Shush!  Not like that.  Ugh.

Royce:  As I was saying.  Ms. Waynest, you’ve felt my touch, known the comforts of my home, and availed yourself of my generosity before.  The unkind words are uncalled for.  I may no longer be human, but I am not truly dead, either.

Arnold:  Hence the walking corpse thing.  Or did you miss that?

Royce:  Considering you seem to be delighting in repeating yourself, of course I haven’t.  Have you noticed that corpses have no need to eat, nor move about under their own power, or hold conversations as we are doing now?  I hardly think it’s fair to discuss me as such.

Shiarra:  Shall we call you a sunlight-impaired American, then?  C’mon.  Stop being such a pedant. 

Sara:  I bet that’s part of why the White Hats hate him, too.

Chaz:  They hate werewolves, too.  My pack has lost a few to hunters.

Arnold:  Seriously?  I thought they stopped hunting werewolves after that guy in Kentucky got mauled.

Chaz:  No, made it worse.  The ones in New York are mostly pissed about vampires, but in the southern and central states, the Weres have a tougher time of it with the hunters.

Sara:  I think it’s about time to wrap this up.

Shiarra:  Okay, let’s recap.  Anything with fur or fangs equals bad to White Hats.  Anything with fangs equals creepy beyond measure to me.  Any questions?

Royce:  Yes. Why is it—

Shiarra:  Okay then.  We’re done.

Royce:  Hey!
____________________

Err… right then. You can learn more about Shiarra and the rest of her friends in HUNTED BY THE OTHERS.  What do you think?  Are you afraid of vampires or werewolves?  Would you side with the White Hats or the Others?

Visit me on the web:


Thanks again having me and the gang over, Jen! 

Hunted By The OthersTaken By The Others (H&W Investigations)Deceived By The Others (H&W Investigations)

It was our pleasure Jess - always glad to have you.  
I definitely give this series 5 slices overall - XOXO (Jen)


No comments:

Post a Comment